Sunday, June 10, 2012

There is no Batman. Part Deux.

My previous post promised a secondary team of Bat-family members. This time comprised of Red Hood (Jason Todd), Batwoman (Kate Kain), and Huntress (Helena Bertinelli). I envision this team as similar to The Outlaws, currently led by Jason Todd. His middle child syndrome has maybe calmed down a bit since Bruce Wayne passed but he still maintains his tougher stance on criminals. The ears on the helmet and the symbol are his tribute but also his pledge of allegiance to the Batman family. He was so bad as Robin that fan voted to have him brutally murdered as a teen, a terrible Red Robin which lasted only a few issues, and as Batman was immediately defeated by Dick Greyson. Red Hood is the only success this character can have. I picture him as somewhat militaristic in his leadership role. Next is Batwoman. I confess I don\'t know much about her aside from her being a lesbian. I put her on this team because of her existing color scheme. I also confess that I don\'t find much wrong with her existing costume so redesigning her was tough. The changes were minimal but the symbol and cape are directly connected going over the shoulders. I added some light gray just to match Jason. The boots are extended for more red and I opted for a topless cowl on her head and face so bat ears can come out of her hair. Last is Huntress. She was difficult because she is a good character who has never, not once, had a decent costume, in about 8 different costumes. They have all been terrible. She is hardly shown gliding so there is no need for a cape. Her mask hides no facial features so it\'s useless. She was too violent so she was not allowed to be Batgirl. She is vengeful and angry, but has worn some of the sluttiest superhero outfits ever imagined. I had to fix this and I think I succeeded in giving her a believable look she could wear in comics. I think this would also fit if she were not on the team. This costume with the red and black changed to purple and navy blue would be just as effective.

2 comments:

  1. OK I like how you basically had nothing to say about Batwoman's costume, you're right here current one works just fine, and I definitely think you should check out her current series, it's first few issues(those are all that I read) were some of the best things to come out of the New52.

    Spot on about the Huntress, she's an ok character who has always had a horrible costume, in fact she's another person it seems they don't know what to do with.

    As for Jason Todd, bringing him back was a huuuuuge mistake in my mind, and did nothing but cheapen the gut-punch feeling Batman must of had everytime he thought about him

    ReplyDelete
  2. With Huntress they decided she should be Helena Wayne again, the daughter of Earth 2 Batman and Catwoman, which is lame and easy. I disagree a little with you on Jason Todd. His initial return as Red Hood was handled very well but the rest of the writers who used him buried his character under 50 feet of crap. His relationship with Batman was similar to Punisher and Captain America in Civil War, which was one of the better small side stories in that event.

    ReplyDelete