Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Justice Icons

I was recently tasked with redesigning DCs most iconic characters. The Justice League. To speed up the process I used the simplistic yet sophisticated style of Bruce Timm. No one, I repeat, no one understood how to put characters into cartoon form better than Timm. Everything from Batman: the Animated Series to Justice League Unlimited was a flawless take on the DC universe. For my redesigns I opted to make two for each character. Each character having a solo career as a hero, and each having an official Justice League uniform.

First is Batman.

I reversed his typical color scheme to slightly mimic his look from the current movies. The front of the belt is also from said films. The symbol extends to the outer edge of the cape.

Next is Superman.

I took the capes connection at the neck from Superman: Red Son. I changed the yellow to white to give him a more patriotic look, reversed the symbol colors, and removed the underwear from outside his pants.

Wonder Woman.

If she is meant to be an amazon warrior, while also being a superhero, she should look the part. I never understood her big hair so I streamlined her look but left in the things that make her who she is. Lasso, wrist guards, tiara, all present.

Hal Jordan.

I wanted his new suit to look similar to his current uniformed the green stops above the waist at a point. Rather than have the symbol on the suit, the suit is the symbol.

Martian Manhunter.

I didn\\\'t want him to be half nude anymore. So I gave him a full body suit similar to his suit from Countdown. I flared his boots very long because that is how Alex Ross designs them and he is amazing. The hood I added just to sort of make his red eyes more intimidating in the darkness it would provide.

Aquaman.

I wanted a more royal, or medieval look to him. I looked at some outfits from Game of Thrones and tunics. I also looked at his Kingdom Come appearance and took away from it that I should combine royalty and super heroics. The beard commands respect and I used more colors on this one than any other despite seeming to only have two.

The Flash.

I know very little regarding Barry Allen because I find him boring, on top of which he died when I was 5. I prefer Wally West as the Flash because he is awesome and was great in the Justice League cartoon. My favorite appearance though was Kingdom Come where he wore Jay Garrick\\\'s helmet and was not much more than a red blur. His face was covered in red there so I did the same thing. The boots are now sneakers, because his power is speed, so boots never made sense.

Justice League.

The suits on the right only make sense together. Rather than be a collection of individual heroes, they are a unit.

1 comment:

  1. I like all your redesigns except the Flash and Wonder Woman. My favorite outfit for Diana was always the Armor from the finale of Kingdom Come, and the Flash just doesn't work for me in white. When I have more time I'll break them down even further

    ReplyDelete